Welcome to recycling 101
Most people want to help the planet and start recycling. Although more and more Americans are looking to help the environment by recycling, many have no idea where to begin. A lack of knowledge about the process of recycling alongside the notion that it is time-consuming contributes to the fact that many citizens don’t bother recycling.
It’s too bad that these misconceptions exist. In most communities, it is all too simple and cost effective to recycle anymore.
Here are a few simple and effective ideas below on how to recycle… enjoy.
1. Set a convenient place aside to store and sort your recyclables. Think about it, if you keep your recycling storage bin far away from your kitchen; are you as inclined to recycle? No, they are going to pile up until you are sick of seeing them. Then you’re going to throw them away.
2. Sort recyclables daily. If you stay on top of it, it will only take a couple of minutes a day instead of an hour or two the night before trash day.
3. Save yourself some time and throw them into their respective containers as you go.
4. Use rechargeable batteries. Seriously, you can go through hundreds of batteries, or 1 set of rechargeable ones.
5. If you have tons of grocery store plastic bags, you can take them back to the grocery store. They will take them off your hands and recycle them.
6. One of the best ways to recycle is to cut down on the trash you take on in the first place. Junk mail is one of those sources. To opt out, go to opt-out.cdt.org.
7. Buy recycled products. This is one of the best ways to remove tree and plastic byproducts from the waste stream.
8. Start a compost pile. This is one of the greenest things you can do…period. Think about it, you can utilize your organic waste and turn it into fertilizer!
9. When you get a new cellphone, recycle your old one. Just google “cellphone recycling”, you will find a wide variety of options or you can bring it to our facility and we will recycle it for you free of charge.
10. Consider donating items you don’t want. To make your items reusable in a lot of ways is better than recycling. We have a place to put it for someone who will actually put it to use. Plus, you cut down on all the fossil fuels burned by conventional recycling.
These are just a few tips. Hope it helps!!
Here is a current list of what can be recycled at our facility for free